[ExI] farm country, was: RE: kiwis keeping it real

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jun 21 16:06:04 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] farm country, was: RE: kiwis keeping it real

>…Well, Spike, we actually throw away at least half of that food.

>…Maybe high rise growing won’t completely solve the problem. In fact I doubt it will. But green is good for human psychology, so are trees. Nothing wrong with that. They will also help to reduce pollution.

>…Reducing transportation reduces cost, fossil fuels, and deadly accidents…SR Ballard

Hi SR, ja I agree with everything you wrote.  Indoor farming will always be specialty high-value crops, rather than a means of feeding the masses.  The kinds of stuff one would grow there might be orchids and wasabi and that kind of thing, where a prole might be able to offer tickets, where proles might pay to come in there and work the crops, their only means of getting their hands dirty, create kind of  a Tom Sawyer farm analogous to the time Aunt Polly made Tom paint the fence, but he managed to convince the other boys it was such grand fun, Tom had them paying him for the privilege of painting that fence.  We do that with a big indoor hydroponic farm in the middle of the city.

Consider: Stanford has a community garden where volunteers come regularly to play farmer.  One day a week they have no-engine Saturday.  It is what it sounds like: a day where all the work is done by hand tools and manual labor.

Imagine a mid-city farm as a big indoor foliage park.  Advertise it as a place to breathe pure high-oxygen low carbon dioxide air, a calm clean place to mediate, refresh the soul, cleanse the system in a serene environment among a verdant explosion of plant life, that kinda crap.  Charge them twenty bucks an hour to be there, heh, plenty of big city suckers would pay.  Oh my, the profits to be made, mercy, just thinking about it makes my butt hurt.