[ExI] Non-locality of conscious observers implies panpsychism without omniscience

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:36:27 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 10:15 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On 29/03/2020 17:14, Stuart LaForge asked:
>
> Consciousness (but not knowledge) might be non-local phenomenon. So here
> is an interesting thought experiment:
>
> Imagine a conscious observer. Now notice that while a conscious observer
> must have some none-zero rest mass, it is at all times at rest with respect
> to itself by definition of its own frame of reference. Consequently, its
> velocity and therefore momentum relative to itself is zero. This means that
> the uncertainty in the conscious observer's momentum is also zero. Since by
> the quantum mechanics of wave functions and Heisenberg uncertainty, zero
> uncertainty in your momentum is equivalent to infinite uncertainty in your
> position, the conscious observer exists throughout all of space. In other
> words, you have no clue which universe you are in BECAUSE you are in an
> infinite number of universes BECAUSE you are a conscious observer. And as a
> corollary no conscious observer is allowed by physics to be omniscient.
>
> Think about it as your soul passing through a slit of zero width and
> diffracting everywhere. This idea sounds very Deepak Chopra to even to me
> so be brutal. Tell me why it is wrong.
>

> Easy.
> Heisenberg Uncertainty only applies to subatomic particles, not
> macroscopic objects. Zero subatomic particles have been demonstrated to be
> conscious observers but billions of macroscopic objects have been
> demonstrated to be. Therefore, Heisenberg Uncertainty *almost certainly*
> (I have to say that for legal reasons) does not apply to conscious
> observers.

Further, conscious observers that are not at absolute zero (which is all
known conscious observers) are, by definition, not at rest with respect to
themselves.  That they have a temperature above absolute zero means their
components are in motion - vibration at least - with respect to the rest of
their mass.  Since each component has a non-zero momentum, its location is
also bound - far more tightly than "anywhere in the universe"), as it turns
out.