[ExI] Study Finds Breakthrough Oxygen Therapy Reverses Aging Process

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Tue Nov 24 01:45:43 UTC 2020

Quoting John Grigg:

> I am quite astonished by what has been learned... I wonder to what extent
> this treatment could extend human lifespan, for those who do it regularly,
> starting at a fairly young age?
>
> https://www.studyfinds.org/breakthrough-oxygen-therapy-reverses-aging-process/

I would be very skeptical about this for a bunch of reasons.

Firstly, the journal that this research is published in, "Ageing" does
not even rank in the top 50 journals dedicated to geriatrics or
gerontology let alone any top tier generalized journals such as
Science, Nature, Cell, or Lancet.

Secondly, if you read the study, they only use a single
less-than-ideal method called Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization (FISH)
to measure the telomere length of a limited population of cells i.e.
white blood cells which are a high turnover body tissue. Also, they
lack controls or an independent verification method. I would have
liked to have seen a qt-PCR or some other more reliable assay in
addition to their Flow FISH data. Which is probably what the referee
of a higher-tiered journal would have told them which is why they are
not in higher tiered journal.

Here is the article if you are interested:

https://www.aging-us.com/article/202188/text

Thirdly, oxygen has long been a known culprit in ageing. Oxidation of
biomolecules to produce reactive oxygen species or free radicals has
been implicated in pretty much all of the diseases associated with
aging from heart disease and cancer to dementia and diabetes.

The study's conclusion that hyperbaric oxygen chambers makes a
person's white blood cells younger might be true but it could be for
the same reason that COVID-19 seems to be making the world's
population younger. And that is by killing the old.

Stuart LaForge