[ExI] early indications of an unfriendly ai

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Thu Oct 1 19:46:18 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-01 11:51, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat wrote:
> p.s. - I have a great and wonderful stereo system costing many thousands
> of dollars. I do wonder if the kids now listening to iPods with earbuds
> have any knowledge of just how music can sound if you have true bass
> (15"" woofers) and very high fidelity (way, way past compressed MP3
> files).  Since I have hearing aids in both ears I cannot find out what
> they are hearing.  Probably the only time they get to hear good sound is
> in movie theaters.

Once upon a time I was interested in musical tuning.  I even invented a
theoretical improvement on quarter-comma meantone, but lacked the skill
to try it out.

Later I found that I have a tin ear for that sort of thing.  Can't even
tune a guitar by ear, because the differences in color between strings
drown out the differences in pitch.

So I assume "good" audio would be wasted on me.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org