[ExI] Leaving home civilisation

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:58:10 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020, 8:05 AM BillK via extropy-chat <

> detached from civilisation and perhaps emphasise their separation.
> Earlier explorers could take supplies and also live off the land -
> fish, game animals, plants, etc. Living off the land is not possible
> for space explorers, so either continuous resupply missions will be
> required or the expedition will have to be completely self-sufficient
> in food, fuel and power supplies.
>
> For the present, the combination of psychological and physical
> problems make long-term space exploration a daunting task. Of course,
> future (yet-to-be-invented) tech may make the physical task easier,
> but maybe not solve the psychological problems.

I don't expect much from canned apes in space. We will need to transcend
biology.

After that,  living off the land in space might be feasible. It will
require a sense of time that we currently do not have. Astronomical time
will make geological time feel like a frantic buzz of activity.

Might self-contained AI-driven civulation (civilization+simulation) keep us
connected to what we expect "humanity" to offer, or do we descend into
madness in the vastness of space?