[ExI] Is the ExI email list slowly dying out? And if so, what can be done to reverse such an outcome?

Tristan Linck emerhorne at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 13:53:12 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-18 02:29, John Grigg via extropy-chat wrote:
> I love the ExI email list, having read it on and off for over two
> decades, so I want to address this issue. I realize the list has it's
> periodic ups and downs, which includes golden ages (sort of like a
> civilization, come to think of it). But I still feel like it is in a
> long-term decline, compared to the past. I just don't want to see it
> die a decade or so from now, with barely a whimper.
>
> Should we have an informal recruiting drive to find fresh
> transhumanist blood? Perhaps that would help.
>
> Anyway, I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts on the
> subject... And hey, I love you guys!

As far as a recruiting drive, there are enough people out there still
using email lists that we could get fresh eyes in here. I suppose the
question is what this list has to offer to keep people here. If I want
to hear about communists infiltrating the government, or hospitals
defrauding the government by inflating covid deaths, or predatory men
claiming to be women to get into restrooms, and the like (but nothing
directed at the right, that's politics and belongs on the other list),
there are unnumbered multitudes of places to get that. When I joined I
didn't really know anything, to contribute to the discussions, but they
were exciting and made we want to get more involved. I dropped off for a
while due to unrelated things going on. I come back and it's this cycle
where I want to get more involved, then the discussion veers back into
the same material I hear every day from my neighbors and co-workers and
I check out again for a few weeks.

That was too verbose, but the crux is that we can get new people in, but
when it comes to retention, what do we have to offer them that it's
worth sticking around? On the other hand, this is a data set of one, so
I could be entirely wrong! I am a cockeyed optimist, or I would have
followed Anders Sandberg out the door, but here we are, and I do want to
see the list succeed and a little more information will probably do more
harm than good.