[ExI] Is the ExI email list slowly dying out? And if so, what can be done to reverse such an outcome?

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 19:30:16 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 7:08 PM Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2020, 2:16 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>> To me, Anders leaving was the greatest loss the list has suffered.
>
> I appreciate the direct sentiment...
>
> Answers was a contributor of high quality content, but he's still alive and
> contributing great content to this world.

I'm aware. (And I see you're a victim of autocorrect too.:) I meant he
was a loss to the list -- not to the world. It was good to see him
here interacting. (And I trust that wasn't detracting from his work.)

> Many former contributors to this
> list are also gone from this world (and some without the promise of de-stasis)

Yeah, that's a different problem.

> ...but secondarily it's evidence of a problem that isn't likely to be solved organically
>
> If this list could be viewed as a sports team, Anders may have been a star player
> but that's a liability as much as an asset.   How would you (all) suggest we replace
> the key aspects of a retired player with a robust mix of new skills so the franchise
> can win the [big prize] (i can't believe I've fallen into a sportsball analogy and have
> no idea how to get out)

I'm not sure if he was much of a liability as you say. I didn't feel
he was dominating discussions when he was here. More just adding his
views and analysis to the mix.

> Anyway... what's the problem we're trying to solve? In my career as a programmer,
> i usually ask this question several times snd several ways to make sure the work
> is aligning with the intention.

The subject line talks about it, no? Is it true? I've been here long
enough to see posting often comes in waves. That's the same with other
email groups I'm involved with. Sometimes someone posts something that
causes a stir. Sadly, many of the posts here that cause a stir are not
really Extropian-related -- just whining about some political thing...
Or as Tristan brought up stuff about 'communists infiltrating the
government, or hospitals defrauding the government by inflating covid
deaths, or predatory men claiming to be women to get into restrooms.'
None of this really is Extropian and will make the group appear to be
socially conservative, likely RW, and reactionary. Plus, like Tristan
said you can get this stuff elsewhere.

By the way, this reminds me of something Bryan Caplan once posted --
probably on his FB wall -- about how when he was in college he wished
everyone would discuss politics. And how he's not happy his wish came
true. :)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: