[ExI] outing myself

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 00:02:10 UTC 2020

I think I had my say about essences awhile back, and I agree completely
with Bill K
UK and EU collectors also pay small fortunes for ordinary
objects that have a famous name attached to them. I just don't see the point
myself.  BillK
However, the pieces of the True Cross, which if collected would make a
sizable forest, were
thought to cure diseases, raise the dead, and so on.  People have strong
beliefs here.   Is there a dichotomy here? People who believe in souls and
essences and people who don't?  That would be very unusual.  The belief
itself, not the strength of it.  Most traits are distributed normally.

 Short version:  after Mama died I could not throw away any of her stuff,
even a bent spoon, which caused me to get into the idea of essences (which
I eventually discarded as irrational).  I think the idea of essences came
about through religion:  primitive tribes often apologized to the 'soul' of
a tree before cutting it down.  Ditto for animals they killed.  So the idea
that things could have souls arose.  Now some people think all things are
conscious. Where will this end?   All things are gods?

To me, the only value of thinking about essences is to stir memories of the
person or situation attached to them.  I decided that I had plenty of
things to remind me of Mama, so I tossed the spoon.  Eisenhower's pistol
just makes you think of him.  It has no other value - to me.  I cannot at
the moment (though I might stir up some help here) think of anything that a
copy thereof would not suit me just as well, and even better since it would
be cheaper.

bill w

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 5:21 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <