[ExI] owwwww, dang

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Oct 31 14:59:02 UTC 2020

From: John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] owwwww, dang

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 8:54 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> Oh this is grim.  Sigh

Yes, we very clearly haven't "rounded the corner", so why does Trump's
repeated lying about something this important not bother you?

John K Clark

Because I don’t view a US president as a doctor or in control of world governments.  I don’t blame whoever is the prime minister of France for their current catastrophe.  I don’t care what politicians say or do regarding viruses: they aren’t in charge of that.

The only political leader I really blame (a lot) is President Xi, who made the political decision to cover up the new virus, which caused it to get loose.  Not one single other political leader at any level, not one US state, not one US county, not one nation anywhere including the isolated and sparsely populated island of New Zealand was able to stop this virus, none.

Politicians are not our salvation.  They are not able to stop this virus because viruses pay no attention to law.  In the US, there is no legal top-down leadership structure available to stop a contagion.  The federal government can close down air traffic to some extent, but that doesn’t help really once the virus is already here.  The US has functionally open borders anyway, legal or otherwise.  There is no closing borders to viruses.  We can damage economies trying if you wish, but your state has shown that lockdowns don’t really help.  You do realize John that your own state demonstrated that lockdowns don’t really help, ja?

Governments cannot help here.  The US government has no legal authority to do the kinds of things some other countries did (which didn’t work anyway.)  It cannot be done legally here, not even a nation-wide mask mandate.  There is no legal means whereby an executive order or anything the federal government demands (other than taxes) would be applicable to the individual citizen.  Government is not your salvation or mine.  You are your salvation.  I am my salvation.  Personal responsibility is the way.