[ExI] nursing homes again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 22:34:34 UTC 2020

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 22:11, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Our county offers covid fatality data broken down by those
> who live(d) in nursing homes and those who did not.
> It looked for a while as if the homers would exceed the
> non-homers, but then they diverged.  Now they may be
> converging once again.
> If anyone here can look at this and extract some kind of
> signal or signal, even an arm-wavey descriptive one,
> do post please.
>
> In Santa Clara county, the nursing home population is about
> 5 percent of the total.  To me the signal is clear enough: if one
> is going to a nursing home for increased safety, don’t do it.
> Take your chances with the risk of a fall at home, get one of
> those emergency beacon things that hangs around your neck,
> get Meals on Wheels, rather than being part of 5 percent of
> the population which accounts for nearly half the covid fatalities.
>
> I don’t know of other counties reporting this way, but if it works
> this way in Santa Clara I don’t see why it would be different elsewhere.
>
> spike

It may be too simple, but the nursing home population is old, probably
already sick, with a weakened immune system and living indoors, close
to other people where transmission is likely.
So if they get infected, they can't fight it off and die a bit earlier
than expected.
I don't think you need to look for any more complicated explanations?

BillK