[ExI] southern data

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Sep 26 20:37:21 UTC 2020

On 26/09/2020 15:24, spike wrote:

> OK well, we need data to solve a scientific puzzle.  The Florida
> governor has lifted all quarantine restrictions yesterday (I heard,
> don’t know the details.)
>
> There is nothing political about it as far as I can tell, so that
> shouldn’t come into play here.
>
> We see the new case rate is steady for the past coupla months, so now
> we get to compare a restrictions states to a big no-restrictions state.
>
> Somebody had to do this eventually.  Florida is the state.  Here we go.
>
> Predictions anyone?

Well here's my prediction (more a hope than a prediction, really). Cases
will rise dramatically. Deaths will rise much less dramatically, or
hopefully not at all.

The hypothesis here is that the virus is mutating to be less lethal, and
lifting restrictions will enable the milder form to spread rapidly. More
infections, less death (including the economic kind caused by these
restrictions). Everybody wins, including the virus (well, maybe not
literally everybody, but many more than otherwise).

--
Ben Zaiboc