[ExI] Cryonics Dilemma

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Sat Apr 3 17:37:49 UTC 2021

On 2021-4-03 10:00, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat wrote:
> My understanding — and please others correct me if I’m misinformed here
> — is if you’re thinking of ‘ending’ your life sooner to get into cryonic
> suspension, this probably won’t work out well because the government
> might see this as suicide and then do stuff like run a full autopsy.

There was a court case about that in California once upon a time.  The
plaintiff had brain cancer and wanted to go into the tank before it ate
his brain.  He sued for an order preventing the State from meddling.
The judge said "We are not here to help you in your nutty project."

With all *due* respect, your Honor, there is a difference between
helping and not hindering.

I've seen a loophole in fiction once or twice: the patient checks
himself into hospital and refuses all food or treatment other than water
and painkillers; in due course he dies of hunger and, because his death
was "attended", no autopsy is required.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org