[ExI] new covid case rates

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Apr 7 02:16:07 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Grigg via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] new covid case rates

>…When will President Biden create a federal mandate to have one set of strict rules for the entire nation?

Never.  He would if he could.  He doesn’t have the authority to do that.  But Biden doesn’t create federal law.  Congress does.  Then the Supreme Court has to buy in.  So… to answer your question: never.

>…This long-standing piecemeal approach to containing the virus in America is ridiculous!

But trying to do anything at the national level is far more ridiculous and dangerous.  There are no possible rules that would work for both New York City and Wyoming.

As it turns out, that is a big enough challenge for states.  Well, too big actually.  California tried, but their attempt was mostly a failure.  They passed the authority on down to the counties.  That kinda approach mostly failed too.  For instance, if county rules are ignored, what then?  Consider the Tesla factory up the street.  The county demanded Musk shut it down.  He opened it up.  They weren’t going to risk pissing off their money cow.  So… the county backed down.  Elon kept turning out electric cars.

At the county level, who has the authority to do anything to flagrant violators?  The sheriff?  She can’t enforce that which isn’t a law.  Only the state legislature can pass laws.  They didn’t.  So… there was no law, and still isn’t.

Law isn’t the way to go against disease in times when existing law isn’t being enforced.

>I suppose the hope is that when enough people are vaccinated, that the pandemic will finally go away, or at least be ignorable.  John

We developed a bunch of new technologies to create vaccines and distribute them.  I got my vaccination today.  No side effects yet.

spike