[ExI] new covid case rates

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Apr 7 04:55:04 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] new covid case rates

>…Much of this discussion seems predicated on something like that ‘if a state or region has stated policy X (with regard to COVID), then there’s a total or virtually royal compliance with policy X in said state or region.’

Policy is something they can talk about all they want.  Citizens are obligated to follow law, as is government.

>…I recall Spike agreeing with me weeks (or months?) ago that California’s stated policy wasn’t exactly followed by everyone in that state, especially not in red districts…

Ja.  Red districts did better than the blue districts, even when under similar guidelines, but it isn’t clear why exactly.  I would speculate that districts that are more tightly packed are more blue and the flu travels better where people are more tightly packed.  But we don’t really know for sure if the red/blue apparent correlation with higher covid rates are really two effects of the same cause.  I suspect that’s it.

>…Why presume that Florida is completely different here?

It isn’t different here.

>… There needs to be some means of figuring out levels of compliance before judging specific measures — much less pointing out one place is better than another when one doesn’t know this level, no?  Regards, Dan

Ja, we don’t really know, even after all this time.  We do know only a few things: sending infected people into nursing homes was a fatal mistake.  New Jersey and New York both did that and are among the hardest-hit jurisdictions in the world.