[ExI] mit covid study

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 03:44:19 UTC 2021

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 12:24, Adam A. Ford via extropy-chat <

> Lockdowns seemed to have helped in Melbourne Australia.

There was a long and strict lockdown in Melbourne last year lasting about
four months. At the peak, there were over 700 cases per day. The lockdown
ended when the cases per day was down to zero. Since then in Australia
states and New Zealand there have been several much shorter lockdowns
lasting less than a week if there have been been any community acquired
cases: between 1 and 10. This seems to have worked.

Adam

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2021, 09:49 spike jones via extropy-chat, <
>

>> I am suffering from a severe case of confirmation bias.
>>

>> I fear for poor Dr. Smigrodzki, who is surely feeling confirmation bias
>> even more than I am:
>>

>> https://www.pnas.org/content/118/17/e2018995118#disp-formula-6
>>

>> Unless I am reading this wrong (do educate me please) MIT concluded
>> pretty much the same thing I did over a year ago: lockdowns don’t help
>> because people stay indoors where viruses spread best.  Outdoor masking is
>> useless.  Indoors, social distancing is practically useless: viruses hang
>> in the air a long time indoors.
>>

>> All this explains why the Sturgis bike rally was an apparent
>> sub-spreader, the bike rallies in Florida and the spring break parties
>> didn’t show up in the noise: those events were mostly outdoors where
>> viruses don’t spread easily.
>>

>> It explains why the lockdowns don’t seem to be helping.  It explains why
>> outdoor mask wearing is pointless.  It is all about air circulation.  It
>> took us over a year to figure out what was right in front of us the whole
>> time.
>>

>> spike

Stathis Papaioannou