[ExI] mit covid study

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Mon Apr 26 17:20:59 UTC 2021

Lockdowns try to limit contagion by limiting contact in many cases to one’s household or pod. If people continue to have contact with people other than that, they are not really locked down. Have we really implemented lock downs as designed? It’s like enforcing mask mandates which we’ve discussed before. Americans appear to be particularly challenged with respect to following public health guidance.

A NY Times piece today suggests lifting lockdown in India prematurely led to their current surge. My guess is that there are so many variables at play, that it will be hard to discern causality in India’s case or anywhere else.

“The most plausible explanations — the amount of time people spend outdoors in India, the low levels of obesity, the population’s relative youth and the possibility that previous viruses had created some natural immunity — all seemed to suggest that India was not simply on a delayed Covid timetable. The country, like many of its neighbors, seemed to be escaping the worst of the pandemic.

Scientific research suggesting that about half of adults in major cities had already been infected was consistent with this notion. “It led to the assumption that India had been cheaply, naturally vaccinated,” Dr. Prabhat Jha, an epidemiologist at the University of Toronto, told me.

Government officials acted particularly confident. As Ramanan Laxminarayan, a Princeton University epidemiologist based in New Delhi, told Nature, “There was a public narrative that India had conquered Covid-19.” Some scientists who thought that a new Covid wave remained possible were afraid to contradict the message coming from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government. Modi has a record of stifling dissent, and Freedom House, the democracy watchdog group, recently said India had become only a “partly free” country that was moving “toward authoritarianism.”

Confident they had beaten Covid, government officials relaxed restrictions on virtually all activities, including weddings, political rallies and religious gatherings. The northern town of Haridwar held one of the world’s biggest gatherings this month, with millions of people celebrating the Hindu festival Kumbh Mela.”

-Henry