[ExI] Fwd: wisdom

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 17:53:14 UTC 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 12:03 PM
My Quora answer to what is wise;

This is your answer in a nutshell: a wise person can put just about
anything into perspective, into context.

When to get angry; when not to; when to feel nervous and when not to ; when
to take somebody else seriously and when not to.

And so on for hundreds of situations. The wise person knows that most
situations resolve themselves with little or no help and most of our
worries just stress us and don’t solve anything.

A wise person may get extremely upset, but it’s usually about injustice and
inequality in the world, not their own or others’ personal problems. A
global perspective.

A wise person never trivializes a problem, even if he knows that it is
really trivial, even if it’s a small child who is upset about a bunch of
nothing (teens too here).

It is very difficult for a young person to be wise, They just haven’t seen
enough of the world to make judgments as to the importance of situations
and just how to go about trying to fix them.

But age does not guarantee wisdom. That takes all the kinds of intelligence
there are, and a lifetime of thinking about people without resorting to
cognitive biases, stereotypes, and so on.

Now whether the above is actually wise is not for me to say, but that’s my
take on it. (Yeah, I am full of it - chutzpah, that is - I am 78 - I am
going to take a shot at anything)

Opinions welcome

bill w