[ExI] Political Relativism (was very informative)

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 05:04:26 UTC 2021

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 8:31 PM Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat <

> I did not mean here to insist that libertarianism *requires* open
> borders; only to question the assertion that libertarianism is not
> *compatible* with open borders.

### No stable social order is compatible with broadly-defined "open
borders", not in the long term. As soon as there are entities capable of
destroying said order and in sufficient proximity, the entities must be
kept out or else the social order is going to be destroyed. Murderous
dynamitards have to be kept out, or in prison, or killed. Huddled masses
not interested in maintaining the said social order, be it libertarian or
communist or whatever, have to be denied entry. Chitinous aliens that breed
like the locusts have to be vaporized by the planetary defence platforms
before their spaceships could disgorge them in the atmosphere, or else all
is lost.

It is a general rule that a coherent ingroup must be defined for any stable
social arrangement to exist. Failure to have an ingroup generally leads to
social failure, except in island conditions where no other entities exist -
and even there failure will result if defectors spontaneously arise on the
island and disrupt the game-theoretic equilibrium.

Social norms, ostracism, definitions of crime and deviancy, national
borders, the neighborhood watch and many other social phenomena are just
surface manifestations of this deeper (but still not very deep) idea.