[ExI] the science might be wrong

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Jan 21 01:34:19 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dave Sill via extropy-chat

>…Right, so not knowing the answers in advance, seems like we have to err on the side of caution….

Ja I hear ya Dave, but in this situation there is no side of caution.  There isn’t even a middle of caution.  If government under-reacts, it might contribute to more spread of disease.  If government over-reacts, businesses fail, which causes lives to fail.  There is no side of caution there.

>…We did that with covid, but we were slow to back off once it became clear that covid wasn't so bad….

Ja.  Then we have all the additional stuff like the one which is hard to miss: state legislatures never acted.  So governors stepped in an wielded authority they don’t actually have.  Many if not most, did the wrong thing with that illegitimately wielded power.  Next time they won’t have that one chance they already misused.

>…Yea, but after we've digested this a few years, hopefully we'll be better prepared for the next pandemic.

-Dave

You are more optimistic on that than I am Dave.  Governments want to be our nannies.  They generally did a poor job on covid.  Now we don’t trust them.