[ExI] the science might be wrong

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 06:04:01 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 3:24 PM Omar Rahman via extropy-chat <

> On 20 Jan 2021, at 16:09, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:
>

> On 20 Jan 2021, at 07:30, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:
>
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 2:49 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <
>

> Epidemiology is part of medical science, the methods to contain epidemics
> are not invented by politicians.
>
> -
>

> ### Epidemiologists are against lockdowns but politicians are willing to
> pay a lot to some epidemiologists to provide justifications for increasing
> their political power, and there are always clowns willing to lie.
>
> Rafal
>

> Do I even need to YODA this? "Epidemiologists are against lockdowns?
>
> To paraphrase: A quarantine, by any other name, helps keep the airborne
> droplets out of your smeller holes.
>

> ### At what cost, boy, at what cost?
>

> At almost no cost, child, at almost no cost.

### The lockdowns killed about 50 - 60 thousand people in the US so far but
failed to make any measurable difference in Covid mortality.

As I said, you need to read up before you talk about stuff.

------------------------------------

> Maybe that’s your problem Rafal, you are framing things in terms of cost
> instead of health outcomes.
>
> Epidemiologists since forever pointed out that quarantines don't work once
> there is widespread community spread of a highly infectious agent. This is
> received wisdom, basic epidemiology and yet you behave as if I was saying
> something outrageous.
>

> You’ve got it backwards, community spread is the signal for further and
> stricter quarantine measures, not to despair and start coughing on Grandma.

### In other words, if you do stupid, and it backfires (60k dead and no
reduction in Covid deaths, see paragraph above), just double up on stupid.

Read up, again.

> You see, by disrupting the regular action of the community, you disrupt
> community spread.
>

> I will close with some of your wise word to REFLECT on; ? ...there are
> always clowns willing to lie.?
>

> ### Your meaning is unclear here. Would you mind explaining it to me?
>
> It means, look in a goddamned mirror Rafal.

### So you say I am... a lying clown? A racist lying clown?

Oi, vey.

Rafal