[ExI] the science might be wrong

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 22:23:25 UTC 2021

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 02:45, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
> *…*
>
> >>…Government cannot force this upon us.  We don’t want a government with
> the power to dictate that kind of thing, particularly since it has
> demonstrated it doesn’t know how to handle pandemics.  Some governments did
> better than others, but the better ones did less.
>

> >…There would be no point enforcing anything unless the enforcement led to
> a better outcome, and outweighed the inconvenience and limitation to
> personal liberty.
>
> --
>
> Stathis Papaioannou
>

> Ja.  We live in times where the USA is not really enforcing even
> immigration law.  We are not effectively stopping Antifa riots, even after
> it was shown it isn’t a political protest (they are continuing.)  There is
> no way we can enforce wearing masks even if we wanted to.  I notice none of
> the legislatures have even tried.  Hell we can’t even define the terms
> “mask” and “wear.”

It’s pretty easy. If the police see you not wearing a mask, they issue a
fine. It is their judgement as to whether you are wearing it properly. This
will increase mask wearing from, say, 60% if it were voluntary to 90%. You
can never reach 100% compliance with any law. If 90% rather than 60%
compliance will make a substantial difference to the death rate, in my
opinion it is worth doing, and if there is no legal mechanism to do it this
is a serious deficit in the law.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou