[ExI] rent a dog

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jan 24 21:59:13 UTC 2021

Subject: Re: [ExI] rent a dog

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 21:23, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cats do play that game!  It just takes a little bit of training to get
> them used to the harness.
> Loads of videos.........
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=taking+cats+for+a+walk&t=ffab&atb=v154-1&ia
> r=videos&iax=videos&ia=videos>
>
> (And you have to put up with all the strange looks you get).   :)
>
> BillK

>...But the project of 'Guide cats for the blind'  was a bit of a disaster.
:)

BillK

Think of all the different jobs humans have found for dogs: search and
rescue, varmint control, guide, pulling sleds, tracking, military, herding
sheep, guard, guiding the blind, catching frisbees, police, racing, hunting,
emotional support, drug detection, of course companionship and endless
entertainment, and that's just the things I can think of easily.

What the heck have we been able to get cats to actually do for us?  Catching
mice and companionship (after a tepid fashion (when they are in the mood.))
They do catch mice which is certainly useful but one gets the feeling their
motive is not to benefit the kibble-suppliers, to which they appear mostly
indifferent.  Rather they do that single useful activity only because it
allows them to play their favorite game: Kill Something.

My apologies cat-lovers.  I completely understand: dogs don't generally do
so well indoors, but cats do.  A cat is better than the other choices if one
wishes another life form in the home and one does not care for yappy little
lap dogs.