[ExI] , melatonin

Ben ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Jan 30 09:22:26 UTC 2021

On 30/01/2021 03:56, bill w wrote:
> Produced by the lungs?  Who knew the lungs were endocrine glands?
>
> https://neurosciencenews.com/melatonin-lungs-covid-17632/

Yes, the lungs (as well as a number of other organs) have multiple
functions. This is one of the challenges for designing a more sensible,
modular body that can easily be maintained and repaired without the need
for invasive surgery (which would be one route to radical
life-extension. Imagine a body that's more like a car, in that you can
go to a shop and swap out your lungs for new ones, and it would just
take 10 minutes with no pain, no damage and no need for recuperation and
healing afterwards).
Refactoring the various systems and organs into distinct modular units
becomes quite difficult once you realise that bones don't just provide
mechanical support, lungs don't just do gas exchange, kidneys don't just
filter the blood, etc., etc. You end up having to design new organs that
our original bodies don't have.

I expect there are more such multiple functions that we need to discover.

--
Ben Zaiboc