[ExI] towing an iceberg

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri May 21 23:28:54 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 3:08 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>; extropolis at googlegroups.com
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] towing an iceberg

>…To take Southern California as an example of a place that needs a lot of water, just about all of it is a desert.  I simply cannot imagine not having enough land there even if you needed square miles of it, which you probably do…

With desalination, the plants need to be near the coast.  Seawater is taken in, put in the solar heated containers, some water is extracted, then the remainder is returned to the sea slightly more saline than before.  If the plant is too far inland, it requires too much energy to lift the seawater.

>…  I do like towing ice which I have seen in several books.  Are you saying that reverse osmosis is the last, the only tech that could do this job?  No more ideas needed?  In fact, could you say that about anything else?  That no further improvement can exist?

You could use nuclear-powered distillation but that hasn’t proven economically viable anywhere.

>…"Oh we've got land, lots of land, with the starry skies above - don't fence me in."

bill w

Land close to the sea is very pricy stuff and very limited.