[ExI] restoration-ready

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun May 23 16:37:30 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 7:27 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] restoration-ready

>…Spike, the days of the beautiful, big cars are over.  I am driving around and see this little cutoff car and it's a Lincoln!  Bah and more Bah.  Maybe they will come back as a sort of Replicar movement.  The irony is that they did all this downsizing and increasing fuel economy and we don't need to save gas anymore… Billw

Indeed sir?  This guzzler I passed up is lucky to break into the double digits on fuel economy.  The state government and other considerations have pushed the price of fuel well past 4 bucks a gallon, owww…  I considered the suicide door Lincoln only because my trips are short.  My cross country runs wouldn’t be done in that rig.

In addition to their enormous size, the higher end cars in those days had little if any plastic.  An all-metal car is very heavy, which causes its own problems with handling, stopping, fuel consumption and so forth.  The 65 Linc is a parade car and a fun show-off car, but lacks practicality.  Still fun to look at, and if you start it up, you experience that smell cars used to make in the pre-catalytic converter days.

For some reason (perhaps the psychology hipsters among us can comment) the sense of smell seems most directly tied to memory.  It works that way in dogs too.  Certain smells, even unpleasant ones such as pre-cat-con engine exhaust, trigger pleasant memories of a cheerfully misspent childhood.  The ice cream truck’s engine is not stressed, so those things never wear out.  It has no cat-con, for that rolling freezer of goodies has been sedately jingling around the suburban streets for over half a century completely unchanged.  Those rigs still emit that marvelous smell without which sales would plummet, for most of their ice cream is bought by wistfully reminiscing old geezers such as…um… well… I don’t know any old geezers personally, you see, nope, never met em.  I and my friends are middle a…  eh… late youth geezers, all of us.