[ExI] This 'Post-Soviet Sad 3D' Game Is Not About Having Fun

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 07:25:46 UTC 2021

"Sandbox game *It’s Winter* is set in a *khrushchyovka,* a mass housing
unit in the USSR. It's a lonely, haunting ode to Eastern ennui."

"For an indie vignette, this level of detail is absurd—you can rummage
through your neighbor’s trash for indications about his life, or you can
keep it simple and microwave a tomato. If you’re anything like myself,
though, you’ll quickly tire of mucking around inside. The real draw lies in
heading out into the night, and exploring the neighborhood in all its
dystopian glory.

That’s about all *It’s Winter* offers—and, if you’re into that sort of
thing, it hits the nail on the head. Playgrounds, stairwells, shopfronts …
each scene is more derelict and depressing than the last. It’s ruin porn at
its most primal—snapshots of a world that was, for so long, sealed off from
Western eyes.

According to the game’s army of local fans, it’s the real deal. “It’s a
very accurate representation of a typical Russian house, on a typical
Russian street,” claims one player. “If you're from a First World country,
play this game. Play it, embrace its atmosphere, and be happy that you
weren't born into this cold, lifeless ghetto.”

I've had enough Russian friends over the years (I'm originally from Alaska)
that this game sounds fascinating to me...

https://www.wired.com/story/its-winter-post-soviet-walking-simulator/

John