[ExI] restoration-ready

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 21:37:51 UTC 2021

A very interesting case came up:  a man with brain damage (reported by
Damasio, I think) between his frontal cortex and his amygdala (big
emotional center).  He was of high intelligence but could not hold a job -
got distracted a lot and so on.  But the main thing is that he could not
make the simplest decision.  Keep working or work on something else or
stop.  Coffee offers threw him into a dither which he could just not get
out of.

Bottom line:  some emotional input has to happen to make a decision, even a
simple one.  Hume was right.  Emotions drive behavior more than reason
does.  We seem to always worry about emotions taking over and making us
make irrational decisions.  Of course that can happen.  No system is
perfect.  But without it we are lost.  No, not orthogonal between reason
and emotion.

Have you ever had a situation arise where decision A looked better than B,
but something told you that B was going to work better?  You can call this
intuition or whatever you choose, but what is happening is that your
emotional center likes B better and you may never know the 'reason' for
that emotion.

Also, think of Thinking, Fast and Slow, which I hope you have read.  Much
data seem to point at this:  our unconscious acts and our conscious notices
that and gives it a reason even if the behavior that comes out makes little
sense to us ('Why did I say/do that?") .  The reason appears after the
fact.  That puts our ego in the position of just being a follower of our
unconscious.  Free Will?  Hmmm.

fMRI studies show that the beginning of an action taken by our motor cortex
happens before we are aware of it.  Ergo - we are not in control.

Did you ever listen to the Austin Lounge Lizards? (bunch of lawyers who
played at a bluegrass festival I attended) They have a little tune called
'We are in control'  - maybe that's a bit like whistling through the
graveyard.

bill w

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 3:47 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <