[ExI] all we are is just llms was: RE: e: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Apr 17 18:57:56 UTC 2023

bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Brent Allsop via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] all we are is just llms

>…I doubt dust blowing in the wind is computationally bound.

And the dust which I am made of has phenomenal qualities like redness, greenness, physical attraction, physical desires, and so on.

Far more phenomenal than mere abstract words like 'red' that require a dictionary or attractions that require programmed specifications, all of which aren't like anything.

 Ja.  I still like the song.

https://youtu.be/tH2w6Oxx0kQ

 I come away from reading the debate with the notion humans are gradually recognizing we are machines, weakly analogous to the ones LLMs are becoming.  Intelligence is a spectrum, so we have no way of knowing when human level AGI has been or will be achieved, for we don’t know how to measure ourselves, even by our own standards.