[ExI] [Extropolis] trump

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 17:32:36 UTC 2023

On Sat, Aug 19, 2023 at 8:33 AM spike jones via extropy-chat

snip

> EP suggests we are programmed genetically.  I have long thought that, since way before I had any real explanation for how we got this way.  The old time religion people had that intuition and came up with an explanation for the nature of humans: god made us that way after the original pair sinned.  It really insisted, with the notion that humans are evil by nature.
>
> I will accept the “by nature” part, but the evil part is a bit of a stretch.  We are tuned to be competitive, sure.  So… what’s evil about that?  Sounds like fun to me.  That’s where we get sports.  War is evil, so we avoid that one, and take care of our instinctive attraction to that horrifying activity with harmless analogs.

Have you been reading the news for the last 18 months?

I should add that the current mess is outside of my model for war, it
was a top-down madness rather than a bottom-up of a population facing
bleak times.  People with the power of Putin and the resources of an
industrial state did not exist in the EEA.

> Enormous fortunes have been made on good war games.  Our favorite sport is a terrain acquisition battle analog, complete with body armor, tactics, the works.  My personal favorite game (chess) is a war analog, sora, with actual battle symbolism, knights, castles, etc.

I suspect a partial activation of the psychological traits for war.
Not unlike SM/BD sex games are a partial activation of the evolved
psychological traits for capture-bonding.  On the point of EP
rejection, you might note that the article on this topic was removed
from Wikipedia.  I pasted the last version on an alternate site.

The page is 5 down on duck duckgo and 3 down on Google.

Keith