[ExI] [Extropolis] trump

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Aug 19 16:45:11 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] [Extropolis] trump

On Sat, Aug 19, 2023, 11:34 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

I am trying to think of a good example on ExI where EP has been rejected or posts made from an opposing POV.  I am coming up blank.

>…I got the impression that the source of frustration was less an outright rejection and more an apparent lack of adoption…

Hi Mike, sorry I am still not getting it.  EP suggests we humans have inbred instincts.  I think everyone here agrees.  I know not one who would object, unless I am again misunderstanding the meaning.  Of course humans have evolved to do certain behaviors that contribute to group survival, which is group-level behavior with genetic consequences.  I was drawn to the idea 20 years ago with Geoffrey Miller’s excellent The Mating Mind, which plays well with Keith’s notions introduced here.

Circumstances change quickly however.  Our terrain acquisition and resource exploitation genetic programming introduces new and serious risk in the age of nuclear weapons and ICBMs.

>…  Imo, the general usage of "evil" is a social manipulation device: via labeling the out-group evil the in-group is herded into behavior that benefits the opportunistic manipulator (church, government, coach/team captain)

Cool take on that, thx.

The way I would go with this is to steer towards what happens when dog owners buy purebred anything.  Most of the time, those dogs are miserable, and their owners don’t even know it, or don’t understand why their pets don’t act civilized, like Mrs. Prufrock’s gentle corgi.  Well, I can explain it to these husky owners why they can’t get their dog to settle down and be human.  I can explain how they can work with the dog’s breeding rather than against it.

Evolutionary psychology offers an excellent explanation for why communism always fails eventually in all its forms, along with why is has survived the longest in North Korea (hint: they keep genetically dissimilar outsiders outside (that really is required.))