[ExI] teachers

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 15:13:31 UTC 2023

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 8:46 AM BillK via extropy-chat <

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 at 08:53, efc--- via extropy-chat
> >
> > Thank you Stuart, on top of that I think Jason made some good point as
> > well, and I have to agree, that it seems like one of the worst
> > interpretations.
> >
> > Best regards, Daniel
>

> The problem with quantum theory is that nobody knows the solution and
> researchers are desperately trying to understand the weird quantum
> world.
>
> Quanta magazine has a long article discussing the problems with the
> Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI).
>
> <
> https://www.quantamagazine.org/why-the-many-worlds-interpretation-has-many-problems-20181018/
> >
> Quote:
> Why the Many-Worlds Interpretation Has Many Problems
> The idea that the universe splits into multiple realities with every
> measurement has become an increasingly popular proposed solution to
> the mysteries of quantum mechanics. But this “many-worlds
> interpretation” is incoherent, Philip Ball argues in this adapted
> excerpt from his new book Beyond Weird.
> By Philip Ball      October 18, 2018
>
> What quantum theory seems to insist is that at the fundamental level
> the world cannot supply clear “yes/no” empirical answers to all the
> questions that seem at face value as though they should have one. The
> calm acceptance of that fact by the Copenhagen interpretation seems to
> some, and with good reason, to be far too unsatisfactory and
> complacent. The MWI is an exuberant attempt to rescue the “yes/no” by
> admitting both of them at once. But in the end, if you say everything
> is true, you have said nothing.
> ---------------

How does he explain how quantum computers work? Where is all the
information processing happening, if not in the many parallel threads of
the superposition of states?

And if we were to run a brain simulation on a quantum computer, and feed it
bits that were initialized to be in superpositions, would the mind not also
(according to all interpretations of QM) enter a superposition of states as
well? I think we could prove that it did, by then using those same bits to
perform Shor's algorithm and the interference effects between the parallel
mind states would confirm the mind split and experienced different things
(rather than cause a collapse) -- we verify it by getting a correct answer
to the factorization of a large semiprime.

I've never seen coherent answers provided on these questions by those who
hold to single-universe views.

Note: I do not think many-worlds, as typically described, is the best
description. It is not that we are creating universes, or that universes
are splitting. Rather, all possibilities are already there in an infinite
comprehensive reality, and our minds simply differentiate as new
information enters into them. When we take this view literally, it actually
provides a means to explain why it is nature is quantum mechanical in the
first place, as I provide references here:

https://alwaysasking.com/why-does-anything-exist/#Why_Quantum_Mechanics

Jason