[ExI] Writing a book?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 11:34:50 UTC 2023

On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 at 11:19, efc--- via extropy-chat <

> Hello guys,
>
> Since I'm scaling back/finishing a customer engagement this autumn I've
> been trying to think about what to do instead to avoid getting bored, and
> I thought about writing a book as one of my options.

<snip>

> Are there any authors out there and do you have any advice for someones
> first attempt at writing a book?
>
> Best regards, Daniel

Well, every author in the world must have asked this question.  :)
There should be plenty of self-help and advice articles around.

Nowadays, I find that 'Just ask an LLM' gets helpful answers.
Try this as a start:
--------------------------------------

Writing a book can be a daunting task, especially if it's your first
attempt. Here are some pieces of advice to help you get started:

1. Start with an outline: Before you begin writing, create an outline of
your book. This will help you organize your thoughts and ensure that your
book has a clear structure. Your outline should include a summary of each
chapter, as well as any key points or themes you want to cover.

2. Write every day: Writing is a skill, and like any skill, it takes
practice to improve. Set aside time each day to write, even if it's just
for 15 minutes. The more you write, the easier it will become.

3. Don't worry about perfection: When you're writing your first draft,
don't worry about making it perfect. Just focus on getting your ideas down
on paper. You can always go back and revise later.

4. Get feedback: Once you've completed your first draft, share it with
others for feedback. This could be friends, family members, or even a
writing group. Feedback can help you identify areas where your book could
be improved.

5. Edit ruthlessly: Editing is an essential part of the writing process. Go
through your book multiple times and edit ruthlessly. Cut out anything that
doesn't add value to your story.

6. Find a mentor: If possible, find a mentor who can guide you through the
writing process. This could be a published author or someone who has
experience in the publishing industry.

7. Read widely: Reading is one of the best ways to improve your writing
skills. Read widely in your genre and take note of what works and what
doesn't.

In summary, when attempting to write a book for the first time, start with
an outline, write every day, don't worry about perfection, get feedback,
edit ruthlessly, find a mentor and read widely.

Top 3 Authoritative Reference Publications or Domain Names Used in
Answering this Question:
1. Writer's Digest
2. The Creative Penn
3. Reedsy

*Organic Web Results:*

   1. How to write a first novel: 10 Do's and Don'ts
   <https://www.nownovel.com/blog/how-to-write-a-first-novel-guide/> Focus
   on building your world to the exclusion of compelling relationships ...
   This important advice on writing a first novel is courtesy of author Robert
   Twigger. www.nownovel.com
   <https://www.nownovel.com/blog/how-to-write-a-first-novel-guide/>
   2. Writing a Book For The First Time: 3 Easy Tips to Get Started
   <https://self-publishingschool.com/writing-a-book-for-the-first-time/>
Choose
   a strong point-of-view character and tell the story through their eyes. The
   more aware you become of writing rules the more they will ...
   self-publishingschool.com
   <https://self-publishingschool.com/writing-a-book-for-the-first-time/>
   3. How to Write a Book (with Tactics from Bestsellers)
   <https://blog.reedsy.com/how-to-write-a-book/> 1. Start with a book idea
   you love; 2. Research by reading genre-prominent books; 3. Outline the
   story; 4. Write the opening sentence ... blog.reedsy.com
   <https://blog.reedsy.com/how-to-write-a-book/>
   4. How to Start Writing Your Novel: 6 Tips for Beginner Novel Writers
   <https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-start-writing-your-novel> 6
   Key Tips for Starting the Novel Writing Process ; 1. Choose a world you
   want to spend a lot of time in ; 2. Find a story idea within this world ...
   www.masterclass.com
   <https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-start-writing-your-novel>
   5. How to Write a Book: Complete Step-by-Step Guide - 2023
   <https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-write-a-book> 1. Establish
   a consistent writing space. · 2. Hone in on your book idea. · 3. Outline
   your story. · 4. Do your research. · 5. Start writing and ...
   www.masterclass.com
   <https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-write-a-book>

BillK