[ExI] An article from an AI-skeptic.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 09:16:03 UTC 2024

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 at 09:44, efc--- via extropy-chat

> Hello guys,
>
> Saw this on usenet today and thought that you might enjoy it as a counter
> balance to everything we read about godlike AI being upon us. Always good
> to have a look at both sides of the discussion in my opinion.
>
> Best regards,  Daniel

Oh, there is definitely a lot of hype involved with AIs!  :)
Just look at the billions of funding being thrown at it.
But people and companies are finding good uses for AI, even at the
present state of development. Companies are replacing people jobs with
AIs. ¬ (Not always successfully, of course, but they will learn from
their mistakes).
See:
<https://www.wired.com/story/student-papers-generative-ai-turnitin/>
Quote:
Students Are Likely Writing Millions of Papers With AI
Amanda Hoover    Apr 9, 2024
Turnitin, a service that checks papers for plagiarism, says its
detection tool found millions of papers that may have a significant
amount of AI-generated content.
Students have submitted more than 22 million papers that may have used
generative AI in the past year, new data released by plagiarism
detection company Turnitin shows.