[ExI] Would human uploads have emotions?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 20:44:07 UTC 2024

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 1:27 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> I'm baffled by the opinions being expressed here.
>
> We all understand what computer simulations are, and that digital
> computers can simulate anything, to an arbitrary level of detail.
>
> But somehow, endocrine systems and emotions are exempt from this?
>
> And bodies?
>
> I'd agree that more advanced uploads may well do away with some of these
> things, after a suitable period of experimentation, but surely the first
> uploads will need to be provided with virtual bodies, including an
> endocrine system (and a whole bunch of other things, that we don't even
> know yet for sure), and we will do our best to exactly replicate all the
> experiences, including emotional ones, that physical humans have.

My prediction, as always, as described in the molecular materialism camp
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/36-Molecular-Materialism>
.

Nobody will be able to reproduce a subjective redness experience (or any
other quale) without glutamate*

* replace a description of anything else in the brain different from a
description of glutamate reacting in a synapse, till they can't falsify the
prediction that a description of glutamate* reacting in a synapse =
subjective redness.

It's baffling to me to think how anyone can think someone can produce a
redness experience, let alone engineer a system specifically designed to
represent red with your greenness, without knowing which of all our
descriptions of stuff is redness, and without specifically designing a
system to use specific false color qualities to represent the subjective
visual experiences.