[ExI] Would human uploads have emotions?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 22:17:53 UTC 2024

Keth let me ask a question, to determine if you are completely qualia blind
or not.

First, would you agree that redness is a quality of your subjective
knowledge of a strawberry, a quality of something in your brain, not a
quality of the strawberry.

Also, Would you agree that we need to first discover what is responsible
for your redness quality, and also what is responsible for your greenness
quality.  THEN once we know the true color qualities of things (instead of
just the seeming color qualities of things), we will then be able to
engineer artificial conscious systems, using whatever is made of those
redness and grenness qualities.  We will need to make such decisions as do
we want the redness and greenness qualities to be engineered the same as
Keith's subjective red and green knowledge, or do we want it to be
red/green inverted.  (or any of another gazillion different falses color
possibilities)

In other words, unless you are thinking about what color palette to use, to
represent subjective knowledge with, in any engineered system you are
thinking of, your thinking is qualia blind.

What is a redness quality?  Which of all our objective descriptions of
stuff in the brain (even if only functional) is a description of redness?
How can you design a system that uses your subjective redness without being
able to know and subjectively demonstrate that?

If you're not imagining which of these systems you plan on engineering, you
are qualia blind.  As all of them will be possible.

[image: strawberery_is_red.jpeg]

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 1:55 PM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <