[ExI] uploads etc.

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Feb 29 21:00:21 UTC 2024

On 26/02/2024 23:40, Bill W wrote:
> Suppose two uploads were in the same room.  How would they read each
> other like people read body language and facial expressions?

In exactly the same way.

> Here's an idea from Consider Phlebas - Banks -
> In that book the AI drones have lights, such as green, red, etc. to
> communicate moods and such.
> Could they in addition have tones of voice?  Of course.  What else?
> bill w

I'm not sure why uploads would need anything extra over what biological
humans use for communication. As they will have virtual bodies and
analogues of biological senses like sight and hearing, projecting and
receiving body language would be pretty similar, I'd think. Of course,
they'd have more control over their bodies than biological humans do
(and potentially greater sensual acuity), so there'd probably be extra
scope for body language signals than we have. In any case, no need for
anything extra (not to say there'd be no desire for something extra, but
that would develop over time, I should think). They would be able to
read each other just like we do.

The Drones in Iain M Banks' novels only use such crude methods because
they don't have the same anatomy that humans do (not sure why, but
that's another issue). Uploads would be able to present any appearance
they like, including fully original-human. As people get more
adventurous and adopt more outlandish forms, then perhaps new body
language signals would need to be developed.

At some point, I'd expect new metalanguage would develop, and people
would then maybe exchange digital packages conveying nuances of meaning
that go way beyond what we are used to.

Ben