[ExI] Open Individualism

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 19:57:50 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 11:45 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> The question of individual rights is entirely separate from the question
> of what experiences belong to which persons (the concern of personal
> identity).

I have already shown that this is not correct.  If all experiences belong
to me, then there is nobody else having experiences, and therefore no other
"true" people who might deserve individual rights, as I outlined in a
previous email.

> If it convinced leaders that in killing others they are only killing
> themselves, then this idea seems a powerful antidote against wars and
> genocides.

HA HA HA HA HA...

...oh, wait, you're serious.

This is a laughably absurd notion, thoroughly and amply disproven by the
historical evidence.  Throughout history, leaders who did not give
their subjects individual rights - in other words, seeing them as their
property and essentially parts of themselves - went right on killing them,
whenever they thought they would gain advantage by doing so.

Which is to say that this sort of view has effectively caused wars and
genocides, insofar as recognizing other human beings as distinct people not
part of oneself would have prevented them.