[ExI] Open Individualism

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 20:22:59 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 9:33 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> It seems to me, but correct me if I'm wrong, that you have only recently
> learned about open individualism and then philosophy of personal identity.

This is true, at least for open individualism.

> I have been studying, thinking about, and writing about, this subject for
> many years.

I have encountered many folks who had deeply explored some spiritualist or
religious point of view for many years - some, most to all of their lives.
I am aware of many more; one extreme case is a certain population in Israel
(I believe they are called "Haredi") that loudly demands their men should
receive government subsidies for spending their lives studying their holy
texts (being "full-time yeshiva students") and not being a productive (in
the secular sense) member of society.

That never once made their point of view any truer.  Indeed, when they felt
that they should rely on such appeal to authority, it was a red flag that
their philosophy probably had some blatant holes that conflicted with the
evidence, that they were quite used to ignoring until pointed out, then
excusing with fallacious logic.