[ExI] Upload/Download

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Jan 21 17:45:19 UTC 2024

On 21/01/2024 16:02, Keith Henson wrote:

>> That remark seems to imply you think that uploads would not interface
>> with the external world. I don't see why they wouldn't, and I'd
>> certainly expect they'd be able to if they wanted.
> It depends on how much the uploads speed up.  Interacting with the
> external world would just not work for an upload running much faster
> than real time.

I think 'would just not work' is a bit of a stretch. I agree it could be
problematic, but surely not more than current people planning and
executing long-term projects.

Especially with the increased intelligence that we hope for and expect,
I'd think that this challenge wouldn't be insurmountable. Especially for
important things such as making sure your physical infrastructure isn't
degrading (or for upgrading it. I'm pretty sure that would be an
important consideration), collecting real-world data to test against
your theories, constructing mechanisms to test them, protecting
yourself/ves from threats like supernovae, suns turning into red giants,
galaxies colliding, etc., managing energy supply issues... The obvious
thing would be to put recurrent reminders into your diary to check on
the state of the outside world, and your mechanisms for dealing with it,
every few ten, hundred or thousand subjective years, make the necessary
adjustments, then go back to what you were doing.

There's always the possibility of just changing your 'clock speed' every
so often. Although that would probably bring it's own problems.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be solutions.

The dangerous (and probably far too easy) thing would be to retreat into
a fantasy world, and forget the real world even exists. One day you'd
just cease to exist without even knowing why.

Ben