[extropy-chat] NEWS: They got him!

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Sun Dec 14 18:08:04 UTC 2003

On 14 Dec 2003, at 13:26, Technotranscendence wrote:

> I can say something that seems obvious.  The way he was found and the
> fact that he was not surrounded by loyalists and supporters seems to
> mean he was playing only a small role if any in the resistance to the
> occupation.  This, of course, doesn't mean it's not a psychological
> victory, but I don't think the guerillas are going to roll over and
> play
> dead now.

Agreed, and more: I suspect fear of Saddam getting back into power
somehow was a *restraining influence* on the resistance, especially
among the shi'ites. Now that he's definitively out of play, it's
possible the guerilla attacks will get *worst* (because there's no
longer any chance of him somehow re-establishing his dictatorship).

Not a nice thought.

-- Charlie