[extropy-chat] European Free State Project

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 20:33:14 UTC 2003

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:

> I certainly have no objections to such projects, but the levels of
> success
> required by the Consensus v establishing a libertarian nation are
> vastly different esp in Europe.
> With 5000 members the Consensus could do a great deal.
> However, for the other project to succeed they need *millions* of
> committed people all in the same place.

Well, no, actually. Suggest you read Jason Soren's original paper. All
they need are 20,000 members in a state of less than 1.5 million
population to have a significant impact.

In fact, there are actually a lot more good candidates than we have had
here in the US, for example Andorra only has a population of 72,000.
Gibraltar is only 29,000 (and Sean Hastings is going to be building his
Seastead there). Guernsey and Alderney is 63,000. Iceland is 294,000.
Jersey is 88,000. Lichtenstein is 34,600. Estonia is 1.268 million.
Malta is 383,000. Isle of Man is 77,500. Monaco is 33,800. San Marino
is 28,400. Slovenia is just over the mark at 1.95 million. Svalbard and
Jan Mayen is 2,200.

If you go by proportionality of 20,000 FSP members to 1.5 million Free
State population, then the needed EFSP members to effect similar
libertarian change would be, for each of the candidates above:

State                Needed EFSP Members
Andorra              960
Gibraltar            387
Guernsey & Alderney  840
Iceland              3920
Jersey               1174
Lichtenstein         462
Estonia              16907
Malta                1107
San Marino           379
Isle of Man          1034
Monaco               451
Slovenia             26000
Svalbard & Jan Mayen 29

And these are just nations IN europe. There are also territories of
european nations all around the world as well that range from spits to
uninhabited atolls to major colonial posessions. This is also just
looking at whole countries rather than just departments or provinces,
etc. There are also a large number of allodial freeholds still held in
feudal tenancy.

Just looking at the population numbers, I would say that if an EFSP can
get going, there are some really good potential locations. From these
candidates, all that they really need to do is figure out which ones
are already the most libertarian

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark