[extropy-chat] a job for me?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 6 19:42:11 UTC 2003

--- kevinfreels at hotmail.com wrote:
> One thing I am curious about is student loans. It is
> my understanding that
> as long as I am enrolled full time, I don;t have to
> start paying back the
> loans.
> Since I work from home and I can make a decent
> income working about 20 hours
> per week, maybe I could stay enrolled full-time
> until the singularity hits
> at which point the economy would be so screwed up
> that I wouldn;t have to
> worry about paying them back.

Don't loans usually have a time limit on how long you
can remain enrolled?  5 years?  Probably under 10.
Certainly, others have tried that trick - but planning
on staying enrolled 'til they died instead of waiting
for the Singularity.  Same results, short and long
term, as far as they're concerned.

> At worst, I could copy myself and have 1 of me work
> to pay off t he
> loans....hmmmm
> Opinions?

Copying yourself isn't much different in that aspect
from devoting part (timewise) of one of you to working
and another part of the same one to studying, as per
your current plan.  It does give you a larger pool to
divvy up, though, allowing more study and more work.
It also presents the problem of re-integration
afterwards.