[extropy-chat] Virus built from scratch

bradbury bradbury at blarg.net
Mon Nov 17 07:56:22 UTC 2003

This is in no way a scientific breakthrough.  Perhaps one can view
it as an interesting engineering accomplishment.

Viruses are not self replicating systems.  I.e. they cannot "reproduce".
However if a viral genetic code (DNA or RNA) is combined with the proper
protein components -- I.e. a genetic information storage system combined
with a protein packaging system then they can infect bacteria or cells and
use the cellular components to reproduce themselves.  Viruses should be
viewed as parasites.

There may be a small minority of viruses that contain the genetic code
for a DNA or RNA polymerase that allow them to copy their genetic
information storage (for example I think the Herpes and CMV viruses
might have this -- but I would need to check to be certain) but I know
of no virus that contains the ribosomal and transfer RNA codes required
to produce the protein components required to copy itself.  So no virus
that I'm aware of can be self-reproducing.

Now with respect to the creation of viruses we have had the technology
for over a decade to assemble viral genome (there are patents on the
most efficient methods) and also produce the proteins.  In most cases
viruses are self-assembling (i.e. mix the genomes and the proteins in
a dish and you will probably get a functioning virus as a result).  So what
you are observing is a case where the technologies have simply become
cheap enough that almost any lab can pull it off if they want the news
publicity.

A *real* scientific accomplishment would be the assembly of a complete
bacterial self-replicating system -- one that was designed from very
low level systems analysis.  I don't believe we have enough knowledge
and cost effective engineering methods to get there yet -- but I suspect
we will within this decade.

I have submitted a more extensive comment to nanodot.org and you
may want to check there in a day or two.

Robert