[extropy-chat] US Politics: Draft?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 17:58:54 UTC 2004

--- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

> These are HR 163 and S 89 which can be looked up on
> http://thomas.loc.gov/
> It looks like they are trying to draft people possibly into 2 years
> of service (so much for the volunteer military).
>
> The part that I'm scratching my head over was that they were
> introduced
> in early 2003 (before Iraq started) and didn't seem to go anywhere.
> Do they have to be reintroduced in 2004 or do they remain in the
> queue?
>
> The strange part is that one of the sponsors for the HR bill is
> McDermott
> who is my congressman (who has to be one of the most liberal persons
> in the House of Representatives).

This is what is really going on:

The Democrats are pissed that there isn't more anti-war demonstration,
and they see building a real anti-war movement as key to them winning
the white house this year. They realize that with no draft, there are
no draft dodgers, no draft card burners, and nobody fleeing to Canada
or attacking National Guard troops: i.e. no good photo-ops or poster
children to foster more hate of Bush. So long as the military is a
volunteer force, then nobody who gets sent to war can complain about
fighting a war they had no choice in, their parents can't complain, and
all those kids who DON'T volunteer have no personal incentive to
protest against the war.

The sponsors of the draft bill are all Democrats, like McDermott of WA,
Charlie Rangell of NY, etc who want to institute a draft in order to
create opposition to Bush among those likely to be drafted and their
families and friends.

The media, like NPR and others, are trying to push for support for this
bill in the pro-Bush heartland with statistics that show that more
rural kids are being killed in Iraq than city kids, that somehow this
isn't "fair", and that the only way to fix this 'problem' is by
instituting a draft to force those unpatriotic city kids to bear their
'fair share' of the fighting and dying.

The generals, the admirals, and the leadership of the DoD, do not want
or need a draft. The only service having recruitment problems is the
Army, the others are actually having to RIF their existing forces. The
proper solution is for the other services to second those members
wanting to re-enlist to the Army for the duration.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                       - Gen. John Stark