[extropy-chat] Hubert Mania's comments

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 28 07:02:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 03:34:32PM -0700, Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

> But I think I heard Newt Gingrich say on one of the weekly TV
> PBS press shows that there is an Islamic web site claiming
> that Al Queda will not feel victorious until it has killed
> 4 million Americans (or "infidels").  If they elicit that
> kind of death toll through some use of WMD then I expect
> you will see people with a lot more power than I have
> discussing solutions not too much different from those
> which were viewed so negatively.

Then the terrorists would have won. They would be us.

In fact, the terrorists *are* winning. Because unscrupulous
power-mongers and profit-driven interests have been stripping us from our
freedoms, establishing a control and surveillance society. Even ignoring that
the cargo cult security doesn't even begin to address the rising threat of
terrorist recruitment due to U.S. insane foreign policy.

Calling people fascists (nevermind Godwin's law) is no more helpful than
contemplating genocide in cold blood.

Due to the publicly visible archives, we've completely blown our credibility
as a political movement. Even Libertarian candidates usually know when to
shut up, in comparison.