[extropy-chat] al-Qaeda is growing fast

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 16:17:13 UTC 2004

--- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

> It would of course be nice if we had an example of rapid
> technological
> change in a positive direction rather than a negative direction.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately most depictions on
the screen tend to portray it negatively, as if one is losing one's
humanity: 2001: A Space Oddessy, Lawnmower Man, Charlie, etc. though
the climax scene in the first Star Trek movie was pretty good.

Any rapid change tends to be depicted as a dehumanizing mechanization,
or an insect or virus-like biological infection, or a simple
transformation into insane monster-hood.

Typically the only positive depictions of rapid personal advancement
are on the spiritual side, like Daniel Jackson's 'ascendance' in season
6 of Stargate SG-1.

As far as entertainment goes, positive depictions tend to sell fewer
tickets than negative ones. IMHO, though, The Diamond Age might be the
basis of a good movie depiction.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development