[extropy-chat] al-Qaeda is growing fast

paul.bridger paul.bridger at paradise.net.nz
Mon May 31 03:13:46 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote:
> Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately most depictions on
> the screen tend to portray it negatively, as if one is losing one's
> humanity: 2001: A Space Oddessy, Lawnmower Man, Charlie, etc. though
> the climax scene in the first Star Trek movie was pretty good.

An interesting counter example was the final scenes of the hit computer game
Dues Ex. As the player finishes the game they hold the future of humanity in
their hands: they get to make a choice between three alternatives. The game
is set in a future society (say 20-50 years after present).
Three choices (as far as I can remember):
- Destroy the current economic regime, plunging society back into the dark
ages. For thos who see technology and progress as evil.
- Form an autocratic world government. Control the future by force.
- Become an all-powerful AI/post-human hybrid, subtly working for the good of
humanity.

So. There are some relatively positive portrayals of posthumanity.

Paul Bridger