[extropy-chat] Aw Nuts! Bush Wins...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 16:22:38 UTC 2004

--- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike, Europe never thought the same of Reagan. Most Europeans, myself
> included, think that all things considered he was a good president.

You couldn't tell it by what showed up on television. European protests
against Reagan's stubbornness toward the USSR were a nightly staple of
the network news here in the 80's. You can say now that he was a good
president, now that his legacy is paying its profits, but the europeans
I saw on the TV back then certainly did not like him at all.

> What we don't like of Bush is the fact that he wants to take the US
> and the world back to the middle ages concerning the respective roles
> of reason and religion in public affairs.
> I follw with interest your Free State project, and wish you all the
> best. But it will not be in a fundamentalist theocratic US that you
> will achieve it. More likely, the Iranian-style theocracy that the US
> is becoming will declare Holy War against the Free State: you see,
> there is the risk that the Free State will pass laws too favorable to
> same sex marriage and stem cell research.

I can tell you categorically that Libertarians here will never support
the expenditure of public funds for non-defense scientific research
that a significant number of taxpayers believe is tantamount to murder.
Whether they are right nor not is immaterial, and I hope you folks
finally are as rational as you claim you are to understand this point:
forcing someone to pay for something they regard as extremely morally
abhorrent, which is not crucial to their self defense, is wrong.

> You call yourself a Libertarian. I don't, but I always appreciated
> many elements of Libertarian thinking. In particular, "Live and Let
> Live". You can do whatever you like in your house, and I will not
> complain as long as you don't objectively harm me. With the caveat
> that "objective harm" does NOT include sleeping with a same sex
> partner under your own roof. That is, if I understand libertarianism,
> just your business and not mine.
> Now tell me: do you see much libertarianism in the policies advocated
> by the Bush administration?

I see Bush's tax cuts, being as they were engineered by ATR Chairman
Grover Norquist, who was a libertarian activist in college, as one
tactic in forcing government to grow smaller, to downsize. Grover once
said, "I'm not against government, I just want to shrink it down small
enough that I can drag it into the bathroom and strangle it in the
tub." That is a pretty libertarian statement.

Before 9/11, Bush said that nation building isn't our job. That is also
a pretty libertarian statement, which you europeans vilified him for
(and now you are vilifying him for going the other way).

Bush says that stem cell research is not national defense related, so
the government has no business funding it. He is not opposed to private
stem cell research and has not supported any measures which would ban
private research. That is also a libertarian point of view.

Bush is by no means a real libertarian, but he is still, despite
everything, far better than that royalist, Kerry. I didn't vote for
Bush, but I still can state that he is still the lesser of two evils,
by a huge margin.

If you think that Kerry will be better for stem cell research, just
wait until his wife's trusts fund the luddites that will start bombing
cloning and other stem cell research labs when they finally start
producing some significant results. They are going to use bioterrorism
to force this research into hiding in government labs, where the state
will control research to focus on using it for totalitarian purposes.

I happen to work with a fellow who worked with Kerry in the VVAW
anti-war movement after he (my friend) got back from Vietnam where he
served in the special forces. He verifies everything the Swift Boat
guys are saying, and he also verifies a lot of stuff about Kerry's
treasonous activities.

> Have to agree on the rest of your note, some reality check is always
> useful.

THanks.

=====
Mike Lorrey