[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - GlobalEnvironmentCitizenAward

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Sun Jan 9 19:33:46 UTC 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:

>> >Which is a self contradicting statement. If the arctic ice cap is
>> >melting due to warming, then there isn't gonna be any cold to cool
>> >europe down. You can't chill your champagne without any ice, bub.
>>
>> I wonder how you are always so sure of your statements, Mike. Climate
>> is so complex that any predictions made by people who spent their
>> lives studying it are at best an educated guess, instead you seem
>> really sure of what will happen 20+ years ahead.
>
>The people making such outlandish projections really are NOT experts in
>the field, they are dilletants with a political agenda who lack
>important capabilities of thinking logically because of their
>ideological blinders.

I was speaking about both proponents and detractors of global warming.
"CO2 is going to warm the planet up" or "CO2 will have no measurable
effect" are both educated guesses, given the scarce data we have.

>And given we are coming off a year where the heat in France killed
>10,000 in the past summer, one would think europeans would be looking
>forward to a break.

For France, Italy and the rest of southern Europe a sudden cooling would
be bad, but not fatal. The problem would be in Northen Europe, where it's
already damn cold for my standards, and they would become like Canada. No
offence meant to canadians, my passport lists Montreal as the city of
birth :-)

Alfio