[extropy-chat] Re: Death Toll

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Thu Jul 14 18:09:01 UTC 2005

Samantha Atkins wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2005, at 1:55 AM, Evan Hamlin wrote:
>>
>> 5. Isn't the Muslim Religion peaceful?  Hopefully, but
>> that is really not material.  There is no doubt that
>> the predominately Christian population of Germany was
>> peaceful, but under the dictatorial leadership of
>> Hitler (who was also Christian), that made no
>> difference.  You either went along with the
>> administration or you were eliminated.  There were 5
>> to 6 million Christians killed by the Nazis for
>> political reasons (including 7,000 Polish priests).
>> (see http://>/).
>>
>> Thus, almost the same number of Christians were killed
>> by the Nazis, as the 6 million holocaust Jews who were
>> killed by them, and we seldom heard of anything other
>> than the Jewish atrocities.
>
> Proof please.

Samantha, the figure of 11,000,000 deliberately exterminated by the Nazis is
correct; and Hamlin is also correct that I have seen the figure of 6 million
Jews mentioned more often than the other one.  Sort of like how World Trade
Center casualties mention Americans to the exclusion of foreign nationals.